2021 Hampton Sprints
Concept: A series of short windward-leeward races in very small fleets (3-5 boats) designed to produce close, exciting big boat racing with a one-design feel. Multiple races, once around a short 1.3 nm course. Limited to monohulls of 20’ LOA or greater with One-Design fleets welcome. All racing in harbor off Hampton Flats. Post-race Awards Party on HYC Flag Deck with awards to all fleet winners and the special “Vortex Sprint Cup” to the overall winner. This event is open to ALL comers.
The regatta will be governed by The Racing Rules of Sailing, 2021-2024.
- ELIGIBILITY & ENTRY
– Open to monohulls 20’ LOA or more. Must meet US Sailing Nearshore Safety Equipment Requirements (which are posted at the HYC website).
– Entry Procedures:
– See next page for entry form and information
– $30 if received by Wednesday (July 28)
– $40 if received on Thursday/Friday (July 29/30) No entries accepted after 1700 Friday !!
– Preliminary S.I.s will be sent electronically to each boat as soon as it enters.
Friday – July 30
1800 Social as part of HYC Friday Happy Hour (cash bar…all welcome)
1900 Skippers Meeting on HYC Flag Deck (final fleet assignments & S.I.s)
Saturday – July 31
1100 Warning off Hampton Flats
1700 Awards and Social on HYC Flag Deck (sponsored by Vortex Racing)
– Hot dogs, beer, & soft drinks on us
PAGE 1 OF 2 – Trophy to winner of each fleet plus “Vortex Sprint Cup”
- RACING PROGRAM
– Windward-leeward course, once around. (start, weather mark, spinnaker set, finish)
– 2/3 nm legs. Total distance = 1.3 nm (Don’t blink…It happens fast!)
– Small fleets of 3-5 tightly grouped boats. Lots of tight racing and close finishes.
– Multiple rounds of races. (5-6 races for all fleets…wind and weather permitting)
– Continuous starts/finishes with finish line opposite starting line. The action never stops!
– “Special” rules to keep things interesting…including:
– Shorter starting sequences to move things along…no long wait between races.
– PORT/STAR roundings alternated for each set of races. You gotta pay attention.
– One-turn penalty vs two…so you’re still in the game.
– No throw-outs. (They all count!)
** This regatta counts toward the HYC CUP Championship.
Publicity, Entry, & Info Lin McCarthy (757) 850-4225 email@example.com
Principal Race Officer John McCarthy (757) 850-4225