Tradition

Sonar Sailing

Mission

To promote opportunities for its membership to participate in all aspects of the sport of yachting and to associate with others of like interest.

Vision

HYC’s vision is to be one of the premiere Yacht Clubs in the United States. Through HYC’s many program’s which include Yacht Racing for adults and juniors, Cruising for both sail and power, and social programs for all to enjoy, HYC strives to be, THE PLACE for yachtsmen and women to be, when enjoying these activities on the Southern Chesapeake Bay.

History

In 1903, Hampton’s boating enthusiasts founded the Virginia Yacht Club and in 1906 issued stock and erected a clubhouse on pilings at the foot of Victoria Boulevard. Interest dwindled during the Great War and the clubhouse fell into disrepair. In 1926, six men, not associated with the Virginia Yacht Club, formed the Hampton Yacht Club (HYC) and were ceded gratis the property of the old club. Since that time, HYC has been a yachting and social center of the Virginia Peninsula.

Power, as well as, sailboat racing were featured competitive activities in the early years with the Virginia Gold Cup being awarded for powerboat racing from 1933 to 1949. The club sponsored sailing events from small boat regattas featuring its own Hampton One Design sailboat to ocean racing events such as the 1941 Storm Trysail Club – HYC race from New London, Connecticut to Hampton. In 1995, the club sponsored the fifty-fifth running of the Virginia Cruising Cup from Annapolis to Hampton. However, HYC is considerably more than a yacht club for racing sailors. Sailing is truly a family affair, from the family of crew who laugh and party with each other after the Wednesday night and weekend races, to the families who cruise for a day or a week or more to explore life on the Chesapeake and beyond.

Historical Timeline of Hampton Yacht Club

1903

Virginia Yacht Club founded by Hampton boating enthusiasts

1903

1906

VYC issued stock & erected a clubhouse on pilings at the foot of Victoria Boulevard. Interest in the Club waned during WWI & the clubhouse fell into disrepair.

1906

1926

Hampton Yacht Club is formed & granted the property & equipment of the old club.

1926

1951

Junior sailing program established.

1951

1972

Original clubhouse on the dock demolished & replaced with a new shore-side clubhouse & expanded dock space.

1972

1975

New junior building built to replace the old “junior shack.”

1975

1984

Major rework of the docks increases the number of slips from 73 to 108.

1984

1995

Richardson property purchased to provide additional parking, greater riparian rights & attractive green space.

1995

1997

The Warwick YC to Seaford to Hampton “race” transforms into Southern Bay Race Week; this event becomes HYC’s largest annual sponsored event.

1997

1998

“A” dock demolished & a high quality concrete floating dock system constructed in new riparian area & HYC hosts the Ida Lewis National Women’s Double Handed Championship.

1998

1999

Adjacent Bluewater Marina property leased with an option to buy to provide more parking, room for junior & one-design activities & more room for clubhouse growth. HYC hosts the 300 boat Optimist National Championship.

1999

2003

All remaining wooden piers & bulkheads removed & rebuilt with concrete floating docks, a 5 ton hoist, 15 storage launch ramps, a pump out station & new paving around the clubhouse.

2003

2009

The Down the Bay Race/Virginia Cruising Cup is reactivated, HYC again hosts US Sailing’s Ida Lewis Regatta & the 75th Hampton One Design National Championship Regatta.

2009

2011

To celebrate its 60th year of teaching seamanship & sailing skills to young children, the Thomas Brady Sailing Center is moved into newer, better facilities on Bridge Street.

2011

2012

The HYC Sailing Center is inaugurated with the purchase of 6 Sonars & the hiring of a full time Sailing Director. Programs offered are primarily for adults & include team racing, sailing lessons & a loan program. The Junior program added a “Green” Opti fleet for 7+ year olds. A tornado ripped through the party following the first day of racing at Southern Bay Race Week with great property damage but no injuries; the SBRW racers rallied to assist with clean-up. The long-desired elevator in the clubhouse is christened.

2012

2013

The Down the Bay Race record is pulverized with a finish of 7 hours over 120 miles — an average of 17 knots! Summer cruise, both sail & motor, gained more popularity & Club membership grew to over 600!

2013