Frequently Asked Questions
- How early/late may I drop off/pick up my child? We cannot offer supervision outside of normal class times. Please do not drop off your child no more than 10 minutes before the start of your child’s class time. If you are running late due to traffic, please call the Sailing Director so we can plan accordingly.
- Is there a swim test required to participate in a class? Yes. Each child must be able to pass a short swim test consisting of swimming 50-100 yards and treading water for 3 minutes. The Explorer sailors will have the swim test in their life jackets.
- Is lunch provided for full-day camps? Yes, for our summer camp full-day camps (not race team), lunch is provided by the yacht club.
- Do I have to be a member? No you do not have to be a member of the yacht club to send your child to any of our camps. We even offer member pricing for grandchildren. We now offer a Junior Membership! Junior members receive member pricing discounts.
- What happens in the event of bad weather or rain? We always put safety first at HYC but we will not cancel or offer refunds for inclement weather. All instructors are qualified to run classes that maximize training value based on the weather conditions. In the event of thunderstorms or too windy of conditions, land-based activities will take place. Under US Sailing, we wait 30 minutes after hearing the last thunder sound until we can start sailing again.
- What should my child bring/wear? Every day, sailors must bring closed-toe shoes (no flip flops!), a US Coast Guard approved life-jacket (ones made by Zhik or Gill are not approved) with a whistle attached to it, sunscreen, a reusable water bottle, a towel, a change of clothes and weather appropriate clothing/bathing suit.
- Where do I get sailing clothes? We recommend Rooster Sailing, Annapolis Performance Sailing or Coral Reef Sailing Apparel, they offer discounts to high school sailors and have the best selection of gear for a good price and great quality.
- What is the End of Summer Awards Ceremony? At the end of summer we throw a party for all summer sailors. This will be on Friday, August 21st at 6pm in the Adult Sailing Center. We hand out awards to various sailors from all different sessions based on Best Skipper, Best Crew, Most Improved and Sportsmanship Awards.
- Is there a Summer Handbook that can answer the rest of my questions I might have? Yes, the Handbook can be found on the Summer Camp webpage.