Hampton Yacht Club, the premier yacht club for boating in the Southern Chesapeake Bay has an immediate opening for a Sailing Director. Sited on the Hampton Roads Harbor this area is rich in history and maritime tradition. The site of the famous Monitor and Merrimack clash during the Civil War, the harbor is now the world’s largest natural, year-round Deepwater port, and home to the world’s largest naval base.
The club’s Junior Sailing Program has produced racing champions at different levels of sailing worldwide. Many of these individuals have maintained their relationship with the Club since their sailing beginnings in our Junior Program. HYC promotes all levels of sailing from Club owned fleets of Optimists, RS Fevas, 420s, and Sonars, through One Design Racing and a strong PHRF racing circuit. Our members are also active in powerboat and sail cruising. HYC holds numerous well run and attended regattas from small One Design classes to big boats such as Southern Bay Race Week and the prestigious Down the Bay Race.
We are looking for a well-qualified candidate to fill this year-round, full-time position, with benefits, who exhibits the following skills and abilities:
- Experience managing sailing education programs, as well as being a proficient racing coach;
- Ability to manage and maintain Club fleet and related sailing equipment and infrastructure;
- Displays professional manner and enthusiasm for the private club environment, and adheres to the Club’s alcohol, drug and professional appearance policies;
- Demonstrates success as a program leader with excellent communication skills;
- Experience in teaching all levels of boating skills;
- Safe Sport and US Sailing Level 1 certified, at a minimum, with AED/CPR and First Aid Certification;
- Able to start immediately;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications and desktop publishing.
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful applicants may be interviewed online or in person or by phone.
Summer 2020 Sailing Instructors and Race Coaches
About Us: Hampton Yacht Club is the region’s premier sailing center based on the downtown Hampton waterfront. Our programs include Explorer, Opti Level 1, Intro to Opti Racing, Doublehanded Level 1, Intro to DH Racing, Messing About in Boats, Opti Racing (RWB & Green Fleet) and c420 Race Team. Our programs enroll children ages 6 to 18. Instruction takes place in our Optis, RS Fevas, c420s and Sonars.
Job Description: We are looking for full-time sailing race coaches and instructors for our 2020 summer camp season! We are open to hiring international sailors and will provide housing, however, you must be able to pay for your travel VISA. Classes run from the middle of June through the middle of August and range from beginning sailing to racing. Responsibilities include:
- Instruction in our youth summer camps (weekend regattas if you are a Race Coach).
- Occasional help in our adult programs, when needed.
- Ensuring a safe, organized, and educational waterfront and fleet.
- Necessary seamanship skills (upkeep of boats, equipment, and facilities).
- Help prepare and plan activities, chalk talks, etc. each day.
- Being able to start June 8th and continue through to August 16th.
- Other responsibilities considered necessary to meet the goals of Hampton Yacht Club.
- Self-motivated team player
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Strong background and experience in sailing, especially if applying for the Race Coaching positions
- Previous experiences in instructing/coaching sailing and a commitment to teaching is preferred
- Must hold US Sailing Level 1 certification or International equivalent
- Must hold current CPR/First Aid certifications
Compensation: Is negotiable, competitive, and commensurate with experience
Contact: Interested candidates should send a work resume and sailing resume via email to the Sailing Director.